Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Matt Chandler's Visit

Well yesterday we had the opportunity to hang out with Matt Chandler from The Village Church. God has Matt and his family in incredible ways. He has led the Village Church for the past 5 years and seen thousands of lives changed. All in all he has amazing insight and wisdom that he shared with us.

Here is few take-aways from our discussion:
1. I asked Matt how does he keep himself sharp and intimate with Jesus...and he responded, "I am constantly asking myself, 'What is it that stirs my affections for Christ? and What robs me of those affections?' If something robs him of these affections he will rid his life of it, even if it is a neutral moral choice.

2. Matt wanted us to recognize that church planting must be a calling, not a job. While a job ends at a certain time each day and on the weekends, a calling does not. A calling encompasses your entire life (every fiber of your being is wrapped into). Considering the very nature of a calling, you're family must be actively engaged with you in your calling. They a part of the calling God has given you.

3. He also challenged us with the question, "Do you love Jesus more than the idea of church planting?" Because you start making really crazy decisions when you love church planting or your ministry more than Jesus.

4. Finally, Matt encouraged us to do things with humility, even when difficult issues must be faced. He explained, "You can say really harsh things and if it is done with humility…it will be received."

3 comments:

jlosbible said...

Brannen, what an awesome opportunity you had to glean from the skinny guy. I have often times struggled with the balance of ministry and family. We hear of the impact our ministry to our family has on those we minister to, and then we also hear some who would state that ministry or calling is all encompassing. Meaning there are no lines of delineation. Did Matt have any specifics on this as he shared with you point #2?

Anonymous said...

Greetings im fresh here, I came upon this forum I find It incredibly helpful & it's helped me out a great deal. I should be able to contribute and guide other users like its helped me.

Thank's, See Ya About.

Anonymous said...

What's Happening im new here, I hit upon this site I find It absolutely accessible and it's helped me out alot. I should be able to contribute and aid other people like it has helped me.

Cheers, Catch You Around