Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thick Skin and Beautiful Feet

As any church planter knows building relationships within your target community is hard. Heather and I have been doing surveys, trying to start conversations with complete strangers, and talking to whoever will listen. Sometimes great conversations formulate, but the majority of the time this doesn't happen. We have been rejected countless times by many indidivuals. I guess if I wasn't connected to a church or God, I wouldn't want to talk to some weirdo, who brings up God and starting a new church in the area either. When talking with these people, I feel like am this giant weirdo who has a third arm going out my forehead. If your skin isn't thick this can be very disheartening. I do want to mention, I am not forcing God, the Gospel, or the church down anyone's throat, rather I am just trying to engage in a natural conversation that may or may not have a spiritual twist. It all depends on the situation and context of the conversation.

There have been several instances where I just wanted to quit and tell God I prefer the attractional model over the missional model. I want people, who are interested in God, the Gospel, and the church to come to me and the environments I create. There is a certain ability to control the conversations here and spiritual questions seem to natural follow. Spiritual discussions are easier to generate here. It's hard to go to the community and search out those who are receptive and form meaningful relationships with those that aren't receptive for the purpose of eventually getting to the Gospel and Jesus. Yet, I believe that God called us to be missional. The Great Commission starts with the word "Go" and not "Come." It is our job and task to go to them with the news of Jesus, the cross, and the resurrection.

I think this is why we are told in Romans "how beautiful are the feet of those who bring the good news." These individuals set aside themselves for the sake of people's souls and the Gospel. Though rejected and dismissed by the masses, they continue to bring a message of hope and reconiliation with God and man to whoever will listen. Bringing the Gospel to people is hard. You have to have thick skin and beautiful feet.

3 comments:

Drummer Chris said...

With our coffe handout on Black Friday coming I remeber people looking at me like, "What do you want, I don't believe you just want to give us coffee, what's your agenda here" Nobody believes in the unconditional "agape" love of God anymore and that really makes living missionally hard.

Maybe I should hand out the coffee bare-footed, I've been told i can be a foot model............=[

Anonymous said...

This will give you a taste of the "Austin" religious feelings...
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/faith/entries/2007/11/15/hyde_park_baptist_pulls_plug_o_1.html#postcomment

Jacob Vanhorn said...

It is good to see you wrestling with this brother. God has already gone before you and I believe you will see fruit.