Sunday, November 4, 2007

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

This past weekend Heather and me had the opportunity to go the Love and Respect Conference by Dr. Emerson Eggrichs. The entire conference focuses on Eph. 5:33 which says, "However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband." What's interesting about this verse is I have never really heard a teaching from it. Sure, I've heard plenty of "Wives submit, husbands love" messages and "mutual submission" messages, but I've never really heard about Eph. 5:33.

As I am processing this conference, the enormity of this teaching is hitting me. I've never really thought about my need for respect, until this weekend. I know I need to be loved by my beautiful wife, but what about respect. But the more I search my soul, the more I understand that I NEED respect. The dictionary defines respect as "esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person."

I need my bride to find worth in me. I need her to admire and esteem me. I need her to respect me enough that she believes in me and what I do, especially when planting a church. If there is only one person in the world that supports, believes, and ultimately respects me it has to be my wife. Without her respect I feel the weight on my inadequacies and weakness like never before. I know that God has placed Heather in my life, so I can accomplish the task He has given me with confidence. I need her to give me this and she does such an incredible job unconditionally respecting me. I love you babe and I desire to fulfill my end of Eph. 5:33.

1 comment:

Jacob Vanhorn said...

I respect you. Seriously, I do. And seriously, I identify with you on the respect thing. I guess the bible is right.